Sunday, December 17, 2006

News of the Day!

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea. Flash! Harry Homeless gives his take on the news of the day. Let us listen in once more as the great man speaks:

I usually don't refer to specific news events in my blog unless it's used to make a larger point or support a point a view. But it also gives insight into a person to see their reaction to current events and the purpose of this blog is not only to document my death but to paint a portrait of myself. Outside of the overall issue of the world dying, the most pressing immediate concern is our involvement in Iraq.

My voice was against the war from the start. I was told I was being unrealistic to promote peace, that I was putting my head in the sand. And I truly felt the pressure to support war. I came off as the mamby-pamby liberal out of touch with the real world. "Sometimes you just gotta fight wars!" I was told, like they were educating me or something. Please. I'm way ahead of you guys. Thinking war is an option is like thinking stupid is an option. You can choose it for a while but in the end you end up worse than when you started.


So now we are fucked - which is why a large segment of people have backed off on their support. If we were "winning", I bet 60-65% of us would support this insanity. But wrong is wrong. No matter what the outcome, we were wrong to invade. It's painful to admit an error and most of us are still fearful to call war wrong. But history is already vindicating those who opposed the war. Don't bend with the wind.

I saw on one of those talking head shows where the host said our President is a good guy who was just naive and got talked into to this war by the war hawks around him. For that statement alone he should be fired. The President has been the Pied Piper of this from the beginning, sending out his song of seduction to whomever would listen. It's been his wet dream from day one and he merely surrounded himself with like-minded souls.


"Stupidity is the one crime that never goes unpunished"
- Agatha Christie

It's (been) time to pull out all the troops. Even among my fellow anti-war friends, I still hear how "unrealistic" I am. "No, we can't do that!" Uh, yeah we can. Yes, we broke Iraq, but it doesn't necessarily follow that we can fix it. Yes, things will be bad - that's the price you pay for fucking up. It's like lynching the wrong man. You just have to learn to live with it, there's no "righting" it.

The President (whose name you'll never see in my blog) is cornered. He has to stay the course! Put yourself in his shoes. If this is not a holy mission, if this is not the right thing to have done, if all this has been a lie - then the death and maiming of our service men, the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians' deaths and the destabilization of the world has to be one of the great crimes in history. All those who support this war are complicit.


Nobody wants to hear about a criminal President. Life is hard enough as it is without having to bail his sorry ass out. But here's where the argument of putting your head in the sand is true. Things will get worse if we don't fully admit the truth of what happened. And life will be hell if we don't turn our backs on war - not if we turn our backs on peace.



1 comment:

STAG said...

A civil war is raging. It won't be fixed by anybody real soon.

It is now out of the American's hands.