Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hate as a commodity in the free market

Well, well, children, how many times a day do we hear this: "I hate you bastards. I hate you sorry ass (liberals, jews, immigrants, free loaders, brats, [fill in the blank here])". You know, find something you feel you're absolutely safe you won't be accused of being, and blame those people for your woes. Hate sells. You get to be all full of bluster and righteous fury and if you do it well enough people come and slap you on the back. Maybe even elect you to office (yikes!).

So why is the richest country in the world so full of so many angry people? Easy. Because we all hate capitalism - especially as a fucking religion. We hate having money (or anything) lorded over our lives. It's eating at our soul. You can choose not to believe this. Fine with me. But, man, we're pissed about something!

Thing is, you see, I believe in the free market.
I loved economist Milton Friedman's Free to Choose series (for the most part). At 17, I was a subscriber to the Wall Street Journal and an owner of Friedman's book. While you guys were busy jacking off to cheerleaders, I was reading the Journal about everything from the theory of reflexology to the World Court in The Hague (OK, I was jacking off to cheerleaders, too). Capitalism was the only way - duh! Thought I knew it all at 17.

So the free market part is perfect - just as nature intended. Problem is, there are sellers among us who will sell anything. Which brings us back to what I said before: hate sells. There are people who have recognized this and use it to their advantage. No need to be honest, just find what the folks are hungry for and feed it to them. Hitler was the best at that. It's a seductive package when you get to slander others and get applauded for it. But of course, if you want to know the truth about someone else, you gotta want to know the truth about yourself.

No comments: