Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Modern Tales: True Loved

You are the woman that I’ve always dreamed of,
I knew it from the start.
I saw your face and that’s the last I’ve seen of my heart.

He said, "It's as if I've known you my whole life."

She said, "It's as if we're meeting again from a past life."

"This is a dream come true. Life is magic!"

"It's so wonderful I don't need to explain myself around you. It's liberating!"

"The claws of the world have dropped from my heart. We walk in the clouds."

"You're the one that I want. I finally feel like a whole person."

"I'd take care of you forever and ever, until the end of time."

"Our love is eternal, a living thing beyond ourselves. To this we shall be devoted."

"Truly - I am truly loved."

"And I too am truly loved. Thank you - and now, let us say forever goodbye."

"Ah, yes. Goodbye, and as Byron said:
Fare thee well! and if for ever -
Still for ever, fare the well -
Even though unforgiving, never
'Gainst thee shall me heart rebel.
"Love it! What a beautiful betrayal we've wrought!"

******

So I asked him what happened to his never-again-seen true love.

"Shit, man. Grow up. Ain't no one supposed to be that damn happy. Would have never worked out, why bother? That's just the way life is."

That didn't make much sense to me but what do I know? He told me he needed her, couldn't live without her, and was in his "own private hell" being separated from her. So who knows? Maybe love and soulmates and all that romantic stuff really is just an illusion we feed ourselves to have a seeming reason to live. He made me feel stupid for believing.

Then three years later he's on the news, tying up traffic for miles as he threatens to jump off the top of one of our towering overpasses here in Dallas. Suddenly everything made sense again. Even after having found it, he'd told me he didn't deserve heaven. He didn't realize the only alternative to heaven is rotting in hell. There's no therapy for losing your soulmate. There's just an inescapable, gnawing, agonizing, soul-crushing void.


No comments: