Monday, November 02, 2009

A Small Smile at the Shelter Today


Normally, I don't let my feelings show around here. Too many people with too much bullshit on their minds looking to fuck things up. But even in the world I live in are Moments of Mercy and I was in one, settled halfway across the break room divan, sprawled out yet completely within myself.

A smile born of fertile ground sprouted upon my face. Didn't know why, didn't care. Sometimes an old memory can do it or sometimes like now, the flower just sprouts. It felt really good. I've learned to accept these treasures as they come.

Who was I? I was Newman in the Hustler with my shit eating grin, handing Minnesota Fats the first loss in his life. I was a carefree farm boy in a spring field, watching butterflies go by on a lazy summer day. Most of all, I was moi.

Chances were somebody was going to fuck with me being so openly content. Couldn't care less. But Elena stepped up to the plate regardless.

Elena is a "fixer". She either wants to fix you or somehow someway take credit for happiness any time she sees sees it. I hate fixers.

"Harry, look at you! You look so happy over there! Somethin' good happened to you, didn't it? Come on, tell us what it was!"

Yes, she annoys me this much


My eyes were closed but I clearly felt the guns leveled at me and by the mere sound of her voice knew she had an "I-told-you-so" torpedo written all over face, ready to launch at the slightest hint of an opening.

So I leisurely opened my eyelids and in my own time, my eyes met hers, and explained to her with the greatest satisfaction possible: "Gas."

My arrow hit a bulls eye.

Her face turned all ten ways to Sunday, like I'd just stomped on her foot wearing her proud new shiny shoes. "You just gotta make a joke of everything, don't you!" She was backing out of the room barking, seeking to hide the wound. "You just keep on jokin' an' see where it gets you! Lord, you the most stubborn man in the universe!"

She may have kept on barking and spewing venom as she went on down the hallway. I didn't notice, didn't care. I just closed my eyes back again, only this time my smile a little wider.


I like the way your sparkling earrings lay
against your skin so brown

No comments: