Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Today's Tom Sawyer


"Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong;
let him who is vile continue to be vile;
let him who does right continue to do right;
and let him who is holy continue to be holy."
-Revelations 22:11

I have to be fair. I have seen the other path. And down that road all my excuses and protests fall by the wayside. If I were on that path then the world could take any it road it chooses and it all would be fine by me. It's easy not to worry when you know you're going to live forever. Unfortunately, I have only seen that road, not taken it.

If all the barriers were removed between me and Debby, and all lies removed from our lives, we'd be sharing the gifts God intended for us. That's why Jesus' good news is so hard - hearing on what all we are missing out on. An irrational and inconsolable voice screams inside, "Shut up!" But I saw in that life with Debby a dream that could not be destroyed. No longer would my happiness hinge on the decisions of others. My soul would already be where it needed to be. And each day I would say, "Thank You!".

"Got to be a joker he just do what he please."
-John Lennon, "Come Together"

Instead - like most people - I lead an absurd life. It takes moral strength to do what you want. Nothing separates me from Debby more than that axiom. Hiding your feelings is weak. Getting what you want is hard - for then you face what you truly are and can lie to yourself no more.

"Today's Tom Sawyer,
"He gets high on you,
"And the space he invades
"He gets by on you."

So I salute today's Tom Sawyers. I bitch because I'm not one of you.

No comments: