Thursday, September 02, 2010

Mockingbird Station, Day & Night (Photo Essay)


Perhaps the greatest failure of American corporatism is in our passenger railways. During the railroad boom of the 19th century, safety considerations and infrastructure took a backseat to quick, huge profits. In the latter half of the century, wrecks killing dozens of people were not uncommon. But even with a growing public outrage, it was only slowly over decades did conditions improve.

That same lackadaisical reputation has haunted them ever since to where passenger rail service became an afterthought with the rise of the automobile and airplane. Other countries who took their railroading more seriously were able to advance to bullet train technology, something which our vast expanses of land could surely use. But to do that now would essentially require us to start from scratch - which leaves us forever married to the half-ass tracks we currently have.

Urban areas have it much better because they did start from scratch. Here in Dallas the ever expanding DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) network provides a sleek, comfortable alternative to the daily grind of rush hour. One byproduct of this are the equivalent of outposts that sprout up like in the days of the Old West. These urban outposts are a conglomeration of upscale lofts, tony shops and restaurants along with entertainment options. One striking example of that is Mockingbird Station off Central Expressway.

The Angelika Theater is a favorite destination of mine and it is the focal point of Mockingbird Station. But I had never taken the DART light rail system to get there before. I didn't this time either. But I did take some pictures before and after watching a film. (Do NOT see "The Disappearance of Alice Creed". It is you who will be taken hostage.) And after my photo taking, I hopped aboard for my very first taste of light rail commuting.

Day Terminal 2
Here we approach from a parking lot. As you can see, DART buses also service the station as it's a complete transportation hub.

Day Kiosks Close
Easy to use kiosks allow you to purchase a ticket per your requirements.
That's exactly what I'll be doing after the show.

Day Escalator Down 2
The actual station had to be built below the surface. Building around existing structures proved challenging but created interesting venues like Mockingbird. One way down is by the escalator.

Day Escalator Outside
I peeked over the edge. I caught it in a quiet moment.

Day Tunnels
From the south end, the trains arrive and depart through these tunnels.

Day Station 4
Some people start to gather at the train's stopping point.
I like the color scheme and the open architecture.
It has good feng shui.

Day Train Tunnel 2
The train! The train!

Day Train Stopped
The train doesn't wait more than a couple of minutes.
I went back upstairs.

Day Lofts
Behind are the high dollar lofts with retail shops on the bottom.

Day Trains 3
I took a final peek down below before heading into the Angelika.

Angelika Night
It was dark when I came back out.

Station Platform Night
The platform was all lit up. I purchased a ticket and descended into the lights.

Escalator Night Outside 3

Tracks Night
Waiting for my train to arrive. Was a bit anxious, feeling like I had a target on my back.

Train Night
I hop aboard, wondering how and when my ticket is checked.
It never was! I just could of walked on!

Onboard 2
Not many fellow passengers. Tried to be discrete with my camera.
The guy on the left was a grubby Hispanic fellow, missing one arm.
Next to him was a hippie looking dude. They ran into one another
and shared the ride.

Onboard Corrider 2
We whooshed on through the night. It was magnificent! Elevations changed according to the requirements of the infrastructure, taking us up and down like an elongated roller coaster. A rushing sound eerily popped up at regular intervals, reminding me of the obelisk in 2001: A Space Odyssey, as if countless thousands
of souls gave voice to a gigantic release of energy.

Poem
They tried to keep me amused with poetry. Seen better stuff than this on Open Salon. The windows were mostly too dark to see through. I did enjoy seeing the headlights of cars on the Expressway running parallel.

Onboard Entry
I eyed the exit doors as we approached the return to Mockingbird Station. Watching the one-armed Hispanic smile at his companion and leave gave me pause at even my own plight. What chance had he in the world? The hippie ended up standing behind my seat, singing "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen. When his stop came, he hit me up for money and I apologized. No way I'm pulling out my wallet. I never relaxed the whole time.

Station Arch Night
I looked back on the station on my way back to the car.

Maserati 2
Sorry, Dallas, your DART rail is damn cool
but I luuuvs my Maserati!

Highway Sign
From the Expressway you see this sign. Funny thing was, when I looked behind me I realized where I was: at the future site of the GWB Lie-brary.

__________________
Click here to see the whole collection

No comments: