Friday, June 11, 2010

Billboards To Mock The GWB "Presidential" Lie-brary

The red area represents where the lie-brary will be.
Blue represents Central Expressway and the offending edifice
will be constructed between Mockingbird and Yale.


Dallas is just a hellhole when it comes to Presidents. Oh sure, publicly we're sorry about the Kennedy assassination - an assassination guaranteeing we'll never get another true liberal in the White House barring the apocalypse. But you also hear the joke in these parts that November 23, 1963 was "the day Kennedy got it through his head we didn't want him here." Yup, when God was handing out class he skipped right over Big D.

And for our unrepentant attitude, we are now branded as home to the greatest American traitor in history along with building a multi-million dollar monument to said traitor. History will not be kind to us. We will be seen as disloyal and dishonorable.


Southern Methodist University is my favorite campus in DFW (I have attended many great events there) - but is also the one most snotty and soul-selling. Despite protests from the faculty, historians and pastors, the powers that be at SMU clamored for the lie-brary like a three-year-old crying for a lollipop. Throwing up their skirts like a two dollar whore, SMU railroaded the purchase of this property just east of the main campus. I guess I'll just have to close my eyes as I drive by it when I wish to visit the great Meadows Museum or Mcfarlin Auditorium.

I do have some time before the horror comes to life:

The George W. Bush Presidential Center is a future complex that will include former President George W. Bush's presidential library and museum, the George W. Bush Policy Institute, and the offices of the George W. Bush Foundation. The facility will occupy roughly 25 acres (100,000 m2) on the campus of Southern Methodist University (SMU) in University Park, Texas. Construction of the center is projected to begin in late 2010 and cost $200 million to $500 million. The dedication of the facility is planned for 2013. At a planned 207,000 square feet, on completion it will become the second-largest presidential library, behind only the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.

Now back when I lived in the armpit that is Amarillo, I had to pass by a campaign sign every day on my way to work for someone I knew to be a scumbag. I felt better, though, after I drew devil's horns and a goatee on it. Most therapeutic! So I got to thinking what I could do in this instance if I had the money: I'd buy my own billboard by the campus and seeing it would soothe my chafing soul.

I'd also make it electronic so it could be updated on a whim's notice and I'd start a website - say bushbillboard.com for instance - where people could suggest quotes and slogans to be displayed. I have a feeling that would be most enjoyable! (I'd also secretly buy a second one in case they rezoned the first one. I know how these people operate.)

So here are a few suggestions off the top of my head, feel free to add your own!


"I Fucked Up America!"
Come see how at my lie-brary!

Brought to you by the 21st century's #1 Anti-Christ!


Not only has Bush's library plans made both non-church academics and church leaders uncomfortable, Bush is also provoking the disapproval from the historian and archivist communities. Presidential libraries - which are managed by the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration - are supposed to be operated for benefit of the public for the purposes of free access to information - by the citizens of the country. Apparently, this traditional purpose and vision is also being altered by Bush.


Greatest Living War Criminal
Come kiss my ass at my lie-brary!

Brought to you by the 21st century's #1 Anti-Christ!


Bush signed an executive order that limits public access to presidential documents. Bush's order effectively grants current, future and former presidents - and their heirs - far greater discretion to indefinitely classify documents long after the 12-year post-presidency period during which executive privileges have typically applied.


"Relive The Nightmare All Over Again!"
Mission accomplished at my lie-brary!

Brought to you by the 21st century's #1 Anti-Christ!


“Any presidential library created under this executive order will be a mockery,” said Steven L. Hensen, a past president of the Society of American Archivists and director of technical services for Duke University’s rare books library. “There are records, but they could be embargoed by Laura Bush or Jeb or whoever.”


"Profiteering, Plunder and Puppetry!"
Come see how I made my buddies rich at my lie-brary!

Brought to you by the 21st century's #1 Anti-Christ!


Bush's institute is likely to engage in history revision or historical omission, since its records can be sequestered and locked away from public view - very selectively. Its academics will carry the weight and reputation of SMU, yet without the oversight or transparency of its peer review. Material not only can be, but probably will be censored.


"I Killed Your Kids For Oil!"
Drive your Hummer to my lie-brary!

Brought to you by the 21st century's #1 Anti-Christ!


From one of many official sites (don't forget its Facebook page!):

The George W. Bush Presidential Center is advancing the ideals of freedom, opportunity, responsibility and compassion through study of the Bush presidency and ongoing research, discussion and scholarship. The Bush Presidential Center uniquely integrates the records of a Presidential Library and Museum, the intellectual capital of a policy institute and the resources of an independent foundation.


Heckuva job, war pig!

No comments: