Monday, August 28, 2006

"An ill-favoured thing, sir, but mine own..."


"God 'ild you, sir; I desire you of the like. I
press in here, sir, amongst the rest of the country
copulatives, to swear and to forswear: according as
marriage binds and blood breaks: a poor virgin,
sir, an ill-favoured thing, sir, but mine own; a poor
humour of mine, sir, to take that that no man else
will: rich honesty dwells like a miser, sir, in a
poor house; as your pearl in your foul oyster."

As I sit here in the alley on a blessedly cool night, I'm ringed with delight and despair. The dumpster, the bolted door, the grease stained steps are my friends. They judge me not. The world passes by with nary a thought my way - such is my blanket. The pungent breeze wards off the interloper. Out there are the battles for the wealth of the world. My dreams went out with yesterday's trash.

My invisiblity is my protection. Here, I answer to no one. The claws of the world have no hold on me. It's a serenity that can't be bought, only found. I hear screeching voices and slamming car doors in the distance. Puppets on a string. You can never fully understand the insanity of it all until you've detached the strings and seen things from the other side. The end game has already been decided and yet we fight to keep the loss. Losers.

I had always thought money could bring me freedom, but now I see I was wrong. Show me a liar and I'll show you a prisoner. I need only obey the laws of Nature and with that comes the dreams and joys and light forever sought by Man. My thoughts are free, my feelings rejoicing and my soul has taken flight. My freedom is here and now. Yes! Yes! Me at last! Me at last! Thank God almighty, I'm me at last!



No comments: