Saturday, August 05, 2023

Down And Out In Beverly's Hills

I've seen documentaries where they ask homeless people what "Home" means to them. But I already know the answer.

It's where you can take a shit in private!!

Some say that in a roundabout way. Others try to be more philosophical. But in the end, that's what it means.

To do the most simple and inevitable of human tasks without the weight of the world on you. You promise God you'll never ask for more.

So you're driven back to life indoors no matter what it takes, no matter how soul-crushing the work. You finally get your private place.

Yet the feeling fades quickly as a new hunger moves in: to find meaning and purpose in it all.

But meaning is nowhere to be found which prevents you from faking it you're making it and back to the free streets you go.

These God damned hot nights are killing me, the heat chasing me like dogged Javert, the freedom thief.

I've also had the thought in whatever hole I'm in that I'm in the most powerful position in the world.

Just try and track me. Marshall your forces and comb the planet! But you can't because you're perpetually trapped by other priorities.

Unfindable. Untouchable. Unseeable. No rich man can claim those things. He needs his possessions too much, hiding behind his gate.

So maybe, at the end of the day, there really is no place where you can shit and call it truly your own.



No comments: