Monday, October 22, 2018

Teacher's Pet(ulance)


So I was invited to speak to a high school class about writing, having had my writing studied by students around the world as part of their curriculum. Of course, my words are not welcome everywhere but neither are the words of Jesus so what does that mean. Like anyone, I go where I'm accepted and shake the dust off my sandals of places I'm not.

With that in mind I began:

I walked up to the blackboard and wrote: OWN YOUR WORDS

"Only you are responsible for what you write. Don't say the teacher made you do it, or your parents, or friends, or whomever. We are each held accountable for our words regardless of why we say them." Sounds trite, I know. But I looked them in the eye with conviction so they knew something real was coming.

"Sure, your teacher gives you your final grade and there are consequences for that. But that is not the end-all and be-all. Not by a long shot. Words shape the world, they bind or destroy as we see fit. How many of you today can instantly recall words that stung so badly they made you want to kill?"

I gave a moment to let that sink in - for me. I spotted others I could see having an uncomfortable moment too - from my spoken words.

"In class, you're graded as a technician. Is your grammar correct? Sentence structure, punctuation, consistent tense and voice. Content? Not so much. Why? Because content can be a mirror and that is a place we fear to tread. But the reality should be just the opposite. Content first, rules learned later. That's how art is born."

I scanned the room for fertile minds and found a few. I could tell these few had not been spoken to in this manner before. I spoke to them telepathically. Yes, dreams are not a sin. Life is a treasure rejected by the world. Do what you want - as God intended.

"Pleasing others when you create while denying yourself is a tragedy and a waste. That's not giving. We want to see what you have to give!" Predictably uncomfortable fidgeting followed. "You want to be a hero? Be a real hero and show yourself. That's a superpower for the ages, greater than any CGI illusion, it takes real guts. Once you taste that feeling you'll never go back."

I was dividing the room, of course. I could spot those dedicated to remaining in the dark. Not that hard, recalling my own convictions on that. But every soul in that room was parched for truth, aching for honest words so rarely spoken in class. School was a jail to me and prisoners make bad students.

"Has there ever been a paper written in class studied by history? I'm not a scholar so it's possible there may be but it's certainly not in the general consciousness like, say, 'Alice In Wonderland' [had to squeeze my all time favorite book in]. Who here wouldn't like to be quoted for eternity? 'Off with their heads!' 'Down the rabbit hole.' 'Curiouser and curiouser.' 'Curiouser' is not even a word! Lewis Carroll would have flunked!"

The release of laughter was much needed at that point.

"So pass or fail as you see fit. But remember this: a moment of genius can strike anyone at any time. You don't have to be professional writer. Sometimes it helps not to be because then you're not trying. But if you don't let it out, if it never sees the light of day, the moment passes forever. If you're afraid of the grade you'll get, what your parents will say, of how your friends will react - then all I can say is that you'll make a fine politician someday."

OK, that one was over their head but I couldn't resist the inside joke.

"But if you dare to step out - if you dare to be free - then you'll be true to yourself. Love makes history. It's what we all want. Connect with your words, ask questions later. Take your moment in the sun. Corny as it sounds, it's out there waiting for everyone, whether we believe it or not."


No comments: