Saturday, March 07, 2009

Why Is The World Fucked Up? God Did It!

"Everything is permissible -
but not everything is constructive."
I Corinthians 10:23

But why should everything be permissible? Can't we just be puppets who are only allowed to do good? Is that not the way to honor life? Or is choice the only way to give life meaning?

We look at the horrors around us - and our course is actually far worse than we've yet to admit - and ask, "Why does God allow it?" But what if the reality is it's up to us? What then? Who do we blame? The universe made me do it? Or do we just throw up our hands and call ourselves inherently defective which means there's no reason to question our suffering, for it then has to be.

In math, if variable x=y then also variable y=x. So if God is love then also love is God. If we were loving, those things wouldn't be happening. So let's substitute the word love in our accusations. How about:

Why does love allow starved and abused children?
Why does love allow polluting the globe with poison?
Why does love allow lies about the truth?
Why does love allow us to be lead to thermonuclear war?

Of course, love doesn't do any of those things. So the real question to ask is: why isn't there more love?

First we block the love from our lives, which then allows hell to reign on earth, and then we cry out asking why love doesn't fix it. That's a heckuva plan, Brownie! 'Why' indeed!

So quit snarking love and quit pretending we are a planet of love. We suffer because we are not a planet of love. A planet of love doesn't look like this one, because love works. It's not like we ever gave love a chance.


Counter argument: "We have the love of money. That's all the love we need."

--------------------------------------

But I know the only ones reading this are the kind and the innocent, pure of heart and fountains of love. And yet they suffer too and question why other innocents must also suffer. Long time ago, a truly innocent one named Job asked the same question to God - back when God was still speaking to us. The (very partial) reply:

"Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you;
and you will answer me.

"Where were you when I laid the earth's
foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely
you know!

"Have you ever given orders to the
morning,
or shown the dawn its place?

"Does the hawk take flight by your
wisdom
and spread his wings towards the
south?

"Will the one who contends with the
Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God
answer him!"
Now, say what you will, that's some pretty awesome sarcasm! I was way jealousing when I read that. Certainly, faith is a lot harder when it requires actual faith.

Counter argument: "God is an egomaniac who thinks he knows everything when he doesn't."

----------------------------------------------


Now, I love this song and I know what he means when he says "love hurts". We've all been there (except for asshole Debby) and know what it's like. But using the x=y law, let us switch around the lyrics:

God hurts, God scars,
God wounds, and marks,
Any heart, not tough,
Or strong, enough
To take a lot of pain,
Take a lot of pain
God is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
God hurts, ooh ooh God hurts

Im young, I know,
But even so
I know a thing, or two
I learned, from you
I really learned a lot,
Really learned a lot
God is like a flame
It burns you when its hot
God hurts, ooh ooh God hurts

Some fools think of happiness
Blissfulness, togetherness
Some fools fool themselves I guess
They're not foolin' me

I know it isnt true,
I know it isnt true
God is just a lie,
Made to make you blue
God hurts, ooh,ooh God hurts
Ooh,ooh God hurts

I know it isnt true,
I know it isnt true
God is just a lie,
Made to make you blue
God hurts, ooh ooh God hurts
Ooh ooh love hurts
Ooh ooh...


Sounds a bit silly to our literalist ears that way doesn't it?


Counter argument: "God does not exist, therefore love does not exist."

----------------------------------------------

Plastic Moses will save you!
Coda: I'm from the planet Xenia and I'm just an observer here. So whatever you fuckers decide to do is fine by me. But it sure would be a fine giggle if you did remember some of these wonderful words.

Take for example, you're at a business meeting and your co-worker Butthead Bob gives a really lame-o suggestion, to which you diplomatically reply: "Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." [I can tell you, that if you say nothing afterwards and just keep staring at him, he will visibly melt.]

Or suppose you are leading that meeting and you reply thusly to poor Bob: "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?" You can continue the quote if you deem it necessary to completely insert the sarcastic dagger.

You people would really hate Xenia. It's all sarcasm all the time! We're just looking for other planets we can torture with it.

--------------------------------

Addendum: A Tale Of Two Islands:

OK, I am God (which means nooky and Maseratis for me!!) and I have two equally beautiful islands that I populate with people. One island goes to hell: they chop down the trees, make war on each other, vote Republican - just fighting all the time until no one can be anything but miserable. The second island lives a dream: sharing and caring, always seeking what it takes to live in harmony with nature - angerless and true.

So I did a survey of what they thought of me on the first island: "Asshole!" "Fucker" "You ruin everything!" "Don't give a fuck about us at all!" But on the second island: "Thank you!" "This is paradise!" "We seek only to repay you!" "Life, it's a dream!"

Huh, how 'bout dat! Wonder who is lying??

So I send a messenger to the first island, to let them know their lives could be better. Only he was killed in the most gruesome manor possible. And, in fact, many people started to blame the messenger for their woes! (starting a very fine tradition of blaming and killing)

So as God, that left me with nothing left to do for the first island since I can't live their lives for them and, uh, oh yeah: fuck you, too.

No comments: