Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Other Homeless Guy

If you Google "Homeless blog" you get this guy's site (it's on my permanent links to the left). At first glance, he seems someone who falls into the "houseless" category as opposed to the "homeless" category, which I talked about in an earlier post. Regardless, his blog has become somewhat of an advocacy for the homeless. "See the homeless as people." To which I heartily applaud, "Hear! Hear!" But that's not my goal.

My goal is only to get across my feelings as honestly as possible. If this makes the outcasts of society more human to you, that's all well and good. But I think this fellow would just as soon bury me. He wants to present the homeless as bright, shiny people. We're not. The prick in the BMW doesn't worry about being an asshole - neither do I. Being an advocate can make you dishonest.

He is gratified by an email from a woman who stopped to help a homeless person. "...I don't think this exchange would have gone the same way before I started reading your blog. The lessons I've learned from you changed my behavior. And I think that's a pretty powerful thing." Indeed. But the next person she may choose to help may actually be a dangerous being. I understand the anger of always being the first person accused when a crime occurs and the wrongness of painting all homeless as ne'er-do-wells, but then neither can you paint all homeless as those to be trusted. You can only argue for yourself.

The other thing that disturbed me is this: "Hooray, The emails from students, from every grade, are now coming in. Teachers are giving their assignments, inquisitive minds are starting at a running pace." This aint no goddam school project! This is not some fucking game!!! This is serious fucking shit and any cocksucker who says food and shelter is not an inherent human right is complicit. This isn't about saving the homeless. It's about saving ALL of society.


No comments: