Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Guerilla Blogging

(Thanks to "Grapevine Bob" for the picture)

The Huffington Post is my main source for news. It's there I read about a fellow with a great idea: freeway blogging. I instantly though "Yes! I can do that!" What a good idea to put nurturing words everywhere. I knew exactly what I wanted to put up. There was supposed to be a coordinated campaign over the Labor day weekend but the sign making turned out to be far more labor intensive than I first thought.

"All we are saying is give war a chance." After reading that I thought how funny it would be if the sarcasm was actually lost on my redneck friends and they actually cheered it. Don't put it past 'em. I also put the re-worked lyrics I wrote in my original posting on the back. Yeah, I know I'm pissing in the wind, but it was worth it for me.


What I didn't expect were the mental and emotional hurdles to doing this. The thought of actual exposure dismayed me and put me on edge. The logistics and effort of gathering the materials, making the sign and finding the right spot to hang it were a burden I did not foresee. Interestingly, I feel differently about myself having done this. A change of focus.

As with any statement there will be cheers and jeers, signifying nothing. But the joy of knowing I have inflicted my words upon thousands of motorists is quite rewarding. Many people mistakenly believe the Constitution guarantees us free speech. It does not. Our belief in free speech guarantees us that right. Without that, the Constitution is only a piece of paper.


Update: The sign didn't last 36 hours. You can also see it at Freeway Blogger's posting.

No comments: