Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Texas Teen Faces Life For...Pot Brownies??

Guess I'll have to watch what I say when I remark, 
"These are so good they ought to be illegal!"

"A Texas teenager is facing five years to life in prison for allegedly baking and selling pot brownies."


Yes, you read that correctly. Somewhere Judge Roy Bean is smiling at the continuing injustice of Texas justice. This is the kind of thing that happens when the state believes it's incapable of committing criminal acts and that a legal system equates to a justice system. Anything goes, regard for life crushed under the wheels of blind hypocrisy - hypocrisy that many feel must be protected at all costs.

Gee, wonder why anyone would feel that way?

The kid is from Round Rock which is a tony suburb north of Austin - which is good for his case. If he were black and from the ghetto sympathy would come only from hardcore liberals like the ACLU. But for this to happen to a life that "counts", oh how the outrage flows! Someone needs to send me the handbook listing lives who count and those who don't. I keep forgetting which ones we can waste - and kill at will.

Obviously, there had to be some sort of rigging in the system for this to occur.

Jacob Lavoro, a 19-year-old from Round Rock, Texas, was charged with a first degree felony because he used hash oil instead of marijuana, allowing the state to weigh the brownies as a whole — including the sugar, cocoa, butter and other ingredients — to calculate the weight of the drugs.

Police searched Lavoro's apartment, where they allegedly found 660 grams — or 1.45 pounds — of baked goods (six bags of cookies, nine bags of brownies) along with 16 ounces of marijuana and $1,675 in cash.

"I’ve been doing this 22 years as a lawyer and I’ve got 10 years as a police officer and I’ve never seen anything like this before,” Jack Holmes, Lavoro’s attorney, told KHON-TV. “They’ve weighed baked goods in this case. It ought to be a misdemeanor."


Conservative principles in action!

Felony charges - much less convictions - are fun! Between a $30,000 bail and retainer costs for a lawyer the kid is already out several thousand dollars. And of course a conviction means he's a marginal citizen for life. There's more money for everyone dealing with a felony, not to mention the resume padding, so why not screw the kid over?

Of course, we didn't reach this position by accident. Took a lot of bright thinkers to get us to this point. The boy's father's outrage is especially precious.

The teen's father, Joe Lavoro, called the possibility of his son spending life behind bars for a hash brownie recipe “outrageous."

"Five years to life? I'm sorry, I'm a law abiding citizen. I'm a conservative. I love my country. I'm a Vietnam veteran, but I'll be damned," Lavoro said. "This is illogical. I'm really upset, and I'm frightened, I'm frightened for my son."

Well, Mr. Goofball Conservative, guess who hell the made these laws? Guess who's enforcing them to these absurd lengths? Your fellow conservatives, that's who, you freaking moron! You should be applauding this tough on crime stance! "Zero tolerance! Zero thought!" Now he wants to be all touchy-feely liberal and considerate of life. Got to be hard or there will be anarchy!

Putting sociopaths in positions of power can only lead to tragedy. And I bet daddy here won't have one whit of a problem with this law if he can get the charge knocked down to a misdemeanor. He'll go back to rationalizing that people get what they deserve from our legal system and he'll be kissing conservative ass like the fine American whore he brags to be. Or to put it another way, don't complain when your buddies get blown away after you put Victor Charley in charge.

ALL conservatives suck

But this situation is not unique. Wonder how much conservative outrage there was over these cases:

Life Sentence For Marijuana: A Look At People Serving Harsh Sentences For Pot Crimes

Want to be a great American? Stop supporting predatory practices that tear society apart. "Don't let injustice happen to me and mine" is not the same as "Don't let injustice happen to anyone." Don't come crying to me when the chickens so very predictably come home to roost. If you want to be tough on crime and criminals first try facing the one in the mirror.


No comments: