Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cats Of Mirikitani

Poignant (poin'yent) adj.
Profoundly moving, touching.

I lack the eloquence to do this film justice.  Granted, I see films with a far greater attachment than most, so the highs are higher and the lows are lower.  But this documentary was 74 minutes of non-stop tears for me.  Jimmy Mirikitani is homeless, living on the streets of New York, is Japanese, loves cats and loves to draw them.  Pretty much a home run for subjects all designed to affect me.  But other reviews I've read also speak of a hugely emotional experience.

These are not tears of heartbreak, however.  But tears of the simplicity of human emotion, of reconnection, of the staying power of old wounds and the journey to healing.  Sometimes, the universe really does conspire to shower us with blessings.  Jimmy is a human flower, and as we watch him grow with gentle nourishment, I can't help but think this gives cause for hope for the human condition.

You have no idea what it took for me to write that last line.

I'll leave you with a few links below and a sample of Jimmy-san's work.  I truly hope you will explore this film.

Official website
IMDB

PBS Feature

No comments: