Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How To Be An Othello Bastard!

Gather 'round kiddos and I'lls tell ya how life was on interent back in my day! Ah, how I miss the beeps of my 56k modem and flashing LEDs...but I digress. Back in the day we had what was called The Zone where you could do all sorts of gaming (it's still there but MSN has trashed it) and my favorite game was Othello, or as they called it "Reversi". Folks from all over the world would come: from the Japans and England and even the old Soveit bloc. Wild times that! And that's how I met some of the mostest bestest players in the world!

Now, I ain't no master at the game but I's sure is an expertise, yessur! So I learned me lots playing against them world class players and they taught me a trick or two. I heard a man say once that wars on the outside came from our wars on the inside, that the whole world was just us pushing our own little world on other folks. I reckon that's so cuz there ain't nothin' I enjoy more than giving folks false hope in a game - and then crushing it! Does a soul good.

Othello is a real simple board game with two sided discs of black and white. Whoever got the most of his color at the end, wins! Game starts like this:


Black puts a piece at say, C4, which traps the white piece between what he puts down and what's already there and boom, that white becomes his and it turns to black, leaving just one whitey on the board. Then white does the same to him and so on till the whole board gets full. To learn more, clicks here. What a lot of folks don't know is strategy stuff. You don't want lots of your own color to starts with. Take very few and what happens is your enemy won't have no moves left but what you give him. Looky here:


White has done won that game! You can't flip no piece once it gets in the corner. Here's what da computer say the end will be:


Funny, huh? But only a dum ol' newbie would get in a position like black did there. You wants someone who got at least some idear how to play - so they can feel it when ya crush them! The three best moves to do that with is: the Stoner, Boscov Maneuver and what I calls a Two-Step Wedge which is waaay sneaky. Here's how ya trick 'em. Like I said, them corners can be real important but guess what? We's gonna give 'em one! I can almost feel their eyes lightin' up on the other end of that computer. But it's sort of like takin' bait from a bear trap.

Here's a stoner, we is black:


White says woohoo! I can gets the corner. He moves to F4 and takes our black guys but then we does this:


Yup, white still gets his corner but I done get a better one! If he tries to stop me by movin' at A7 why then I gets both corners! Funny how the game always stops when I do this and they starts scratching their heads. Some folks just plain up and leave! Here's how that Stoner game ends up:


Yup, whitey got his corner - but not much else! Sucker!!!!

Boscov is a pretty rare thing, fer sure. It works because wedges is real powerful in Othello: this right here is suicide for black:


White can wedge in at A5, take both corners and win easy like. Any average player knows that and would never play that, but here's where you gets to use psycher-ology on them again. We takes what looks like a wedge only to get them all frustrated like cuz they can't get in there!


They never think you gonna leave a gap like that on the edge cuz they don't stops to think can they get in there! Black wipes 'em out easy from this point. But my fave-oh-rite play is the Two-Step Wedge. It's tricky but I'll splain best I can. Here's what looks like a crazy play for white cuz they just moved at G7 and white can't do no stoner cuz ain't no black piece next to it.


But then I does this at H6 - but black still think he got me most times!


BFD says black but then I's wedges in like this after he takes the corner, which is step one of the wedge:



Black is still prolly laffin and callin' me dumb ass and shit cuz he think he got easy win - till I does step two at H3!


Black is screwed now boy! He can't stop me from takin' the whole side and the corner too! They usually stares at this a bit afore they realize what all happened. They ALWAYS think I just luck into it. This how games ends with perfect play on both sides, a 35-29 win for white:


They most always storms off and leaves when I does a trick play on them. Boy, how I love it! There's a couple other tricks I got on openings and such but they lots harder to show. Heck, most people prolly not get what I show already!

No comments: