Monday, November 24, 2008

A Nation of Neros


This has been bothering me for a while. At first I chalked it up that there's something missing in my life (there is something missing in my life: a life) but it just kept bugging me and gnawing at my mind. But then it all became clear to me. Granted, I am so far outside the realm of the living it's hard for me to be certain but I think I've finally fingered the pea under my mattress. And it's the picture of a happy soul drinking his champagne, enjoying the good life - a winner of the world - yet doing this while standing on the deck of the Titanic.

As an outsider, all I see is his enjoyment and that he has no cares. The man's life is my holy grail! It is said in the Good Book that right up until the end we'll be carrying on, fucking and sucking like nothing is wrong. I have just one comment for that: that's fucking insane! Don't get me wrong, we all have to keep right on living - just not at the expense of reality. Are we a nation of Neros?

Our energies as humans right now are geared towards our self-manufactured "economic crisis", towards keeping money alive. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. But I know we'll insist on pretending we have no choice. Even so, trying to fix the economy without ending the war is kind of like a stab victim making vacation plans before pulling the knife out. Put first things first, or in other words: it's the war, stupid. I know no one believes me on that. But if Obama does stop the war (imagine it over) it will become abundantly clear how truly necessary it was to stop the bleeding. The (what now seems normal) fog will be removed from our eyes.


I've said before that now is the time for sackcloths and ashes. People think I say that because, well, my life consists of sackcloths and ashes. And to be honest, if I had a choice, I probably wouldn't choose this. But if we were to mourn our actions of the past and repent our foolishness, we'd be reborn with an actual future. What I see now is not life, but an imitation of life.

Our "soulful" songs have no soul - but we sing them as if they do. We maintain our rituals as if nothing has changed when in reality they are sad parodies of the past. We are not who we once were. But we are desperate to keep the reality of our choices from showing. I've been wondering why movies recently that are
complete garbage have been so widely hailed. It's because they seem to be saying something meaningful when in reality they say nothing - a dying society's wet dream. The rotted soul clings to false praise but a pure one knows the joy of creation.


So you sorry ass champagne-sipping, not-a-care-in-the-world flakes don't really have it made after all. All you did was pull the plug on reality and bring your surfboard to ride the waves as we go down the toilet.

P.S. Ok, yeah, I'm partly writing this because I was forced to watch the friggin' American Music Awards last night and I thought it was all boring, stupid, fake and annoying.

No comments: