Friday, June 29, 2012

"Taxing the Poor for not Buying Health Insurance is Unfair"


I have heard people talk of being poor, of having been poor or of knowing what it's like to be poor. But boy howdy, they sure don't act like it! Anyone who celebrates this health insurance ruling is either a predator or a predator enabler (Hi, Mr. President!). This ain't no joke and this ain't no game.

Anyone who threatens my life deserves to die. I don't care why you think you may do it, you just need to be eliminated from the face of the earth for the common good. By God, a whole lot of you fit that bill! But it won't be by my hand you'll die, but by you're own. I cannot wait!!!!

This health insurance ruling is nothing more than one more way of squeezing the working poor and the middle class out of their remaining money. Go ahead, call me a freeloading Lazarus, Mr. Money Worshipper. I'll call you for what you are: an assassin no one can live with. Mandate money all you want, doesn't make you any less of a killer. DIE NOW!

It's not just the right wing destroying this country but also the comfortably left, eschewing liberal values in the name of staying comfortable. It's not a choice of people and profits, it's a choice of people or profits. Only one of those choices exists in reality, the other merely fictional numbers we use to blackmail each other with. Laugh at our ignorant ancestors all you want, we'll be laughed at just the same: witch burning capitalists, corporate superstition, and asking wooden idol dollars to save us.

I have no place in the unreality of this goddam society. I'm not here to babysit your goddam illusions. I'm here to destroy them. You're here for that too. You can buy into the bullshit all you want, receive high praise for "explaining" how we can have our profit and eat it too ("If only they would listen!"), and bless the savagery of these times but you do so at your peril. One day you'll have to stand naked and explain why, given only as much recourse as you gave: none.


First Person: Taxing the Poor for not Buying Health Insurance is Unfair, Frightening

I am frightened and disappointed by today's Supreme Court ruling on the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare.

This legislation will do nothing to make health care more affordable for my family. Our costs have risen more than 20 percent since its passage, and I expect costs to increase even more following today's ruling. The decision came at a particularly bad time for my family, as we may lose our health insurance in a matter of weeks.

In May, my husband lost the job he'd held for the last several years. He is interviewing for a new position today, but if he doesn't find work before his coverage from his old job ends, we will be uninsured.

Under the ACA, families like mine will be fined with a tax penalty if we don't acquire health insurance. But getting insured may not be possible until my husband finds a good job.

As a 40-year-old mother of three, I'd be crazy not to want health insurance for my family. But I already know what it's like to fall through the cracks. I work hard every day as a freelance writer to pay the mortgage while my husband looks for work. My income alone certainly puts our family of five under the poverty line. But because we were responsible and put away some money in savings, we don't qualify for food stamps, free phone service or any other type of social service. Our low income is irrelevant until we've spent nearly every dime we have in savings.

Our situation is complicated by the fact that our youngest daughter has a congenital heart defect. It breaks my heart to think we might not be able to provide health insurance for her even if only for a little while. But it infuriates me to think that our government would punish us for something we simply can't avoid. We have to eat and we need a roof over our heads. If it comes down to a choice, food and shelter trump insurance.

We live in Tahlequah, Okla., a small college town where many working-class people are self-employed or work for small businesses. I dare say everyone I know wants health insurance, but good jobs with great benefits are hard to come by here.

It's just not fair to tax people for not purchasing what they simply can't afford.

Don't speak to me of acceptable flaws, that it's OK to fuck people today because we say we'll stop fucking them later, that a holocaust must be tolerated because there is no other way. That's absurd on the face of it. Go ahead, show me the life that's unimportant and not valuable, show me the person it's OK to hurt - you'll be looking in the mirror the entire time.

No comments: