Monday, June 17, 2013

Deep Into The Woods


"..and the meek shall inherit the Earth."
- Jesus Christ Superstar

It was the "clutching pain" I call it, and it drove me deep into the woods to hide my pain from the wolves of the world. They roam the streets with fangs dripping blood in broad daylight - yet no one thinks the more of it! When a wolf does get caught with a mangled body in its mouth the enemies of humans say, "I know it didn't mean to do that." In this way they think they appear "kind". I must make myself safe from their delusions of slander.

Where I ended up I did not know. With my arms holding my pain filled stomach I ran in a blind rush until I could run no more. I hated moments like these, wholly vulnerable, out of step with the world. Forced to face myself and my life, I looked up through the trees into the sky and wondered what sort of figure I must portray to the peering clouds. A miserable, sniveling figure lost in his heart, no doubt.

Sorry, folks, I'm just not in a position to be judged right now.

I slid down into a clump of waiting leaves listening to sounds of a vibrant Nature that answered only to Itself. How I longed to be part of that world! I wanted to rejoin with the lost secrets of yore, the infinity of life. I heard echoes of a contaminated man speak of many saviors: perfect science that bypasses the conscience, a perfect system that bypasses the human heart, the perfect religion that bypasses the soul and even of perfect love that separates the wheat from the chaff. But as I watched a three hundred million year old lady bug dance across a leaf I knew that when it comes to ultimate answers there can only be one.


It's very dangerous, I know, this falling into Nature, absorbing Her forbidden fruits in a world built on condemning Her. But Her yoke is easy and fruitful and made me realize dreams are not dreams after all but wishes of love yet to be - that must be. Even with the sorrow of pending departure these cool streams eased my pain and my eyes fluttered shut in universal embrace. But just before my eyes finally shut, I saw it.

I must tell you, I don't exactly know what "it" was but it's what I always imagined a magnetic pulse might look like if it braced the world. You don't so much see it as its distorting effects. There were bending waves in the sky and trees, best as I can describe it. But its effect on me inside was a thousand times of what I witnessed outside.

"Oh my God, it's finally happened."

Truth is, until that moment I didn't even know I had been waiting for it. But it seemed so very obvious afterwards! All the years of trials and tribulations, the rising contention of human voices, the struggle between Man and Nature had been leading up to this breaking point. Of course, something had to give. Just that nobody knew the form it would take - not even the Sta-Puft marshmallow man.

Everything changed but I didn't know how. Would I be left out once again having been stuck deep in the woods, a day late and a dollar short? Fuck! By the time I made it back to Wicked City everyone was gone - gone as if vanished into thin air. I almost had a heart attack. I mused aliens had come and whisked them away.

"Shit, everything's been abandoned - and looks somehow different. I don't understand it but I do."

Walking by the edge of town where the lowest of low lived, I noticed turned over soiled toys in the yard of a house long past repair. Rest of the neighborhood was no better. I thought to myself: "Why are there any houses like this when we can make them all fine and dandy? Are we insane?" But then it struck me: Why had I never had that realization before?


I passed a prison and recoiled at is pointless pain. The empty army base obviously a waste of space. Bank buildings longed to be art galleries. Nothing was as it was before!

"What in the fuck just happened?? Can no one tell me?"

Eventually I came across others as dazed and confused as I. That's when I first heard the phrase "a reversal of justice." Funny, but justice was a word I knew only to cover the injustices of men. Then I read the stories of reporters competing for now vaunted truth.

First I read of a bitter man who poisoned the town well - but no one died from drinking it! So the bitter man tried it himself and he died. Justice indeed! I heard of a greedy man plotting to swindle all the wealth for himself and enslave people for life. But the next morning it was he who'd lost his wealth for life. A politician laughed as he prepared to put on his phony mask of love to betray the necessary trust. But he was blind his mask was of ugly evil and no one trusted him ever again. All the old tricks were dead!


Then I figured it out: Nature had won! She had righted the sinking ship of this planet. Those still bent on destruction destroyed only themselves, removing themselves forever, not as dictated by the foolish laws of men but by the just and unerring laws of Nature. Tears steamed down my face at the beauty of it! "Goddam right the fucking meek shall inherit the earth. Good riddance, motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


No comments: