Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Lions, Tigers And Leopards, Oh My!

Lion27

It's been a while since I've been in the neighborhood of Tyler, Texas but when I am I try to visit the Tiger Creek Wildlife Refuge, home of the big cats! Having the smaller version in my own house just makes me even more of a fan of the larger ones. It's an unforgettable experience seeing these guys up close and personal. So though it's been many years since my last visit, the impression it made is still very strong. And a lot of that is heartache.



"A" marks the spot

Seeing these great beasts in such small cages can't help but bring a feeling of suffocation. As resources become available, larger compounds are built but in the meantime they remain confined as is.

Lion1

Lion3

Lion4
No ball of yarn for these boys!

I did get to see some more of the larger compounds had been built since last time.

Lion20

Lion24 Heckuva cat nap!

Lion16

But too many are still in the smaller cages. Tiger Creek does not set out to populate their refuge with animals like a zoo but rather "to provide rescue and rehabilitation of big cats that have been abused, neglected or displaced." Just as with the smaller version, far, far too many irresponsible owners out there. Precious is as precious does.

Lion9

Lion8

Lion5

But the one who got to me the most was 8-Ball, the black leopard. A stunning creature who deserves all the room in the world was stuck in the same small cell I saw him in last time. I don't know if they rotate the cats around between the larger areas or not but my heart went out to him.

Lion17 His cage is kept far away from the outer fence

Lion28

Lion29

I also took a few quickie videos of the fearsome felines. I highly recommend visiting if you get the chance or making a lion sized donation if you win the lottery. I know I plan to!

Click here to see the entire photo collection

No comments: