Sunday, January 24, 2010

Water and Walkways at the Kimbell Art Museum (Photo Essay)

"Art is the voice of God"


I went to visit the great Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth today. The Kimbell is one of the finest small museums in the world. "The Cardsharps" by Caravaggio (on whom one day I'll do a posting) is my favorite piece and a crown jewel in their collection. Being a small museum (though very well funded) they emphasize quality over quantity. There are many great museums in the DFW area, but the Kimbell is easily my favorite and every visit is a delight.

The current exhibit is Private Collections of Texas. I highly recommend it, the Mondrians at the end being a special treat for me. I never knew Texas was such a hotbed for Mondrian! The Van Goghs were greatness and the entire show was rich with depth I did not expect. Seems some of my hick neighbors have some taste after all. Like we like to say in Texas: "They done good!"

But times are very, very hard for me right now and afterwards I leaned against a stone pillar by the outdoor pools and watched the sun dance on the water's surface. It was hypnotic, it was a haiku. I lost myself in the moment like a condemned man not wanting face his fate. I had not the words to capture that moment, my soul is exhausted. So I ran to get my camera to give you a glimpse into my glimpse.


WaterSun1
This where I stood, gazing at the reflection
and never wishing to leave.

Water1
First of a few shots of the water falling around the edges.

WaterFall3

WaterEdge1

WaterPool
There are two identical pools of water
on either side of the entrance.


WaterWalk5

WaterWay

Walkway
The walkaways under the arches are magnificent.
The building itself is art.


Trees3
Aligned trees separate the pools.

Walkway4

WalkwayFar1

-----------------------------

South of the building is a sunken courtyard, a place of serenity and isolation. Though not one for religious rituals myself, I truly loved the sight of this fellow presumably using the courtyard wall for a wailing wall (a wall of prayer). A perfectly poetic ending to my day.

WailingWall

To see the entire set of photos, click here.

-----------------------------


This was on the radio as I left

No comments: