Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Prisoner Released


I saw a man jump off a cliff,
A thousand foot, no more;
Falling to a jagged death
A gruesome fate in store.

We had wandered through sad lands
With stone so cold and barren;
Another quest for happiness
In reality a fool's errand.

My stupid friend cajoling me,
"Seek and ye shall find!";
What possessed me to listen
To what that bakana opined?

I watched, as a drowning man,
Sinking in the mud;
I've gone as far as I can go
Now it's time for blood.

But shocking was the jumping man,
Jumping from on high;
For though he fell a thousand feet
He bothered not to die.

For when the ground came rushing near
He turned to see the sky;
His smile as a Cheshire's
As he began to fly.

I yelled with unbelieving eyes,
"Morty, you're a moron. You know you should have died!"
He replied so sarcastic,
"Thank you for the info! Your faith you cannot hide!"

Morty was a shooting star
Slicing through the clouds;
Leaving me to ponder
How my death be not proud.

Morty jumped the chasm
To face a land unknown;
Never would I follow
And lose all I have known.

Finally there comes a point
Where everything is lost;
And though my life I'm wanting
I just cannot bear the cost.

Such was on my feckless mind
As I watched my friend soaring;
Reflecting on a wasted life
Basically spent whoring.

Then Morty shot out of the sky
Into the space above;
Something he was yelling,
I think it's, "Life is love!"

Fearlessly, he trekked the stars,
The universe his home;
Gleefully, two angels came,
So rarely to be shown.

With every burst of energy
Holy colors streamed;
A hidden wonderland
That every eye should see.

An ancient star was calling,
A place of dreams to share;
Feeling as a prophet
Morty's soul was bare.

Angelic hands guided him
To the source of all men's dreams;
Do you know this place? they asked,
Where all is at it seems?

Morty was rejoicing,
"I know exactly where I am!"
"This is the place where
"The lion sleeps with the lamb."

And though he felt eternal praise
And saw God in every leaf;
Morty then remembered me -
Lost in mud and grief.

So the shooting star returned,
Touching till the end;
The warm and graceful hands
Of his angelic friends.

"You're a sorry fucker!" I said,
Descending into my fright;
"You're never fucking happy
"Until you prove you're right!"

But this only made him smile,
"Of course you shouldn't leap!
"You really should stay over there
"And stay feeling like a creep!"

I really wanted to strangle him,
I really wanted to shout;
But gone from me were reasons
To remain a prisoner of doubt.

So I too leapt the chasm,
Into the land unknown.
No longer am I master
But I just might find a home.

1 comment:

elaine x said...

in the words of seal: in a world full of people, only some what to fly ... isn't that crazy?

thanks for sharing such an inspiring reminder ...
and for such a great blog ...

peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'