Sunday, April 23, 2006

A Life Not Lived

In a weird but of irony the other day, I got hit up for money by a homeless con at a hotel I was walking out of. If only he knew! Truth is, I spotted him on the way in. There was some student at the front desk carrying on about how she had the wrong card key and he was standing in the background. He had on a polo shirt and looked very sharp and well groomed. I thought "coach" for some reason, figuring the girl was part of a team staying at the hotel. As an authority figure, I made a note to avoid him.

After doing my business in the bathroom, he was still lurking in the lobby. The key thing in these hotels is to not draw attention to yourself, so I was exiting stage left post haste. But this guy makes a bee-line for me, catching me right before I get to the sensor operated doors. Strangely, I didn't feel threatened by his approach. Curious is a better word. What could this guy possibly have to say to me?? "Hey, could you help me out? I just got off work and need some gas money to get home." Wow, my cover must work better than I thought!

Fact is, we had both fooled each other. Kudos to his appearance. Now it was a simple case of con vs. con. His line was so unoriginal, though, he was easy to swat away. I told him I couldn't help him and right away he starts in with "Right, whatever" - like he can use yuppie guilt on me! So to really stick it to him I told him he should "try the front desk. Maybe they can help." That stopped him cold. It was then I noticed a thermos and a couple of other small accoutrements sitting in the corner. As I departed I spied him picking them up before making his hasty retreat.


I'm not someone who asks for money. I hate you assholes too much to think I'd ever be indebted to you. But to those that do, more power to ya. But this little bizarre encounter did jar me. I started having flashes of another me, one who is comfortable in his skin. One who doesn't apologize because he's smarter. One who lives in a world many cannot understand. It was a unique insight to see a me not a war with myself. I wonder how I get to that place, it seems so far away.

No comments: