Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Ticket Incident



I didn't want to share this at first. Not too sure what - if anything - this says about me. I am an awfully preoccupied and desperate fellow.

One of my favorite diversions is films. As I approached the ticket window, I noticed what an incredibly high wind there was. It seemed to be amplified by the narrow area around the windows as it whipped through. I was very concious of this as the cashier handed my change back along with my ticket and also a freaking brochure of upcoming films. I was thinking, "Damn, this is too much to gather at once in this wind." I tried to be extra careful. But as I got to the theater door, I noticed I had no ticket. I had the stupid brochure. I looked in my wallet and the cash I got back was there. Where was the ticket??

So fatefully I went back to the window and knocked on the glass.

     "Did you give me a ticket?"
     "Yes, there's no ticket left in here."
     I felt really stupid cutting in front of the others and holding things up. "But I don't have it."
     "If you got your cash back, you got the ticket."
     I dug through my wallet in front of her. "It's not here."
     "There's no extra ticket in here. It would be here if there was."
     I had visions of it blowing away in the wind. "Well, I paid for one."
     "Well, I gave you one."
     I could see it disintegrating into the chicken sandwich scene in "Five Easy Pieces". Since I had no ticket and she acknowledged I gave her the money, I asked for a refund back. She then asked what I'm seeing. Confused, I thought she meant what I saw in my wallet so I answered, "I'm seeing nothing." She asked again and I caught on. She told me to tell the ticket taker I had no ticket and just go on through, which I did.

Later, as I walked back outside after the film, I checked the inside pocket to my jacket and found the ticket. I was so worried about it blowing away I had put in there right away without thinking about it.

No comments: