Friday, January 27, 2006

Kurosawa dreams

Like I've said before, most of my dreams are just replaying the events of the day, feelings that are repressed in moments of stress. Not fun. Other times, I have no idea where my dreams are coming from. Once I had dream with Bruce Springsteen in it. We were walking along, having a discussion of constructive criticism of each others' lives. I was pointing out some things I clearly saw he needed to fix. Then he did the same for me. We both knew the other spoke the truth.

I grabbed a cat nap today. And in it I had a dream that spoke the word Kurosawa to me the entire time. I'm a huge fan of Akira Kurosawa. I've seen most of his films. So in my dream I was watching a film (Kurosawa's?) in a room with at least two other people, probably more. The movie was coming to the end part (I don't remember the first) and the guy next to me started leaning over to his friend and commenting on the film. I thought he was misinterpreting it as the film was entering a surreal phase, so I pointed it out to him. It was showing a sandy mountainous scene from afar and what looked like a heard of animals. But really, it was showing the entire earth under this very clear water and the "animals" were really just a bunch of wisps in the water.

But once I realized I was looking through water, it switched to a scene of clouds high up in the sky. We were speeding through them furiously when I noticed some sort of line on the horizon. It was the clear water. It reached all the way up to the clouds. And in the water I saw a dolphin made of clouds form, jump out of the water and then back in, only to disappear again. Some other recognizable shapes also did the same but were too quick to see before they vanished. And all the time I kept thinking "Kurosawa, this is Kurosawa."

At this I got so disturbed I woke up. Kurosawa was speaking to me. Why? I'm just a bum.

No comments: