Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Debby Factor


I heard these lyrics going in to pick up my free weekly paper. It's a Debby song, reminding me of the time she was in my life. I keep thinking I'll become immune, but I choked up once again on hearing it. Fifteen years and it hasn't been a day. Time stopped for me when she left. Trite, perhaps, but true. Perhaps I would be in a different place today had I dealt with her better. Certainly less guilt.

"You're lying and you can't help it."
-Debby, to me

Who was she? There's a scene in Bonny and Clyde where Clyde tells Bonny her life story right after they met. Some people know each other before they meet. I always knew there was this "other" out there. And when I met her, she was everything I dreamed of. Just perfect. It was like I was living a dream. And though I never took my clothes off in front of her, she is the only person to see me naked.

"Life is love."
-Me to her

The foundations of my life were shaken. Things I had buried since childhood were coming back out. I turned suicidal realizing for the first time just how far away I was from being ready for the one I need. But meeting her also forced me into new paths. I started writing for the first time - in large part as therapy. My art began to grow. But still, I ran away from my personal life until finally I ended up...here.

"A love song
It was there all the time"

Thank you, Debby. You were a dream. (And an asshole)

No comments: